5 Quick Tips to Improve your Dental Routine
Improving your dental routine is important because having healthy teeth and a great smile can have a significant impact on your self-confidence. Although most people brush their teeth twice a day as recommended, there are other things to consider when you assess your oral hygiene routine.
Here are 5 tips can help improve your oral health:
1. Re-evaluate how you brush your teeth: It is important to assess how you are brushing your teeth to ensure that you are brushing effectively. You should be brushing your teeth by placing the toothbrush at a 45 degree angle towards your gums and gently brushing all areas of your teeth, including the outer, inner and chewing surfaces. You should be brushing for at least two minutes, both morning and night.
2. Invest in a good toothbrush: There are many different toothbrushes to choose from including manual and electric. Regardless of what you choose, a soft bristle brush is recommended. Replacing your toothbrush when the bristles spread is also important to maximize the effectiveness of your toothbrush, usually every three to four months.
3. Floss your teeth: Food particles stuck in your teeth that can lead to inflammation of the gums and subsequent gum disease. Remembering to floss your teeth will ensure that you are removing any food that is stuck in between your teeth. Flossing is just as important as brushing your teeth.
4. Drink more water: Drinking plenty of water will keep you hydrated and has many other health benefits. Water helps flush out food debris and ensures that you do not have a dry mouth.
5. Eat a nutritious diet: Having a healthy diet is beneficial to our overall health and our teeth. Avoiding foods high in sugars and acidity will help keep your teeth healthier by minimizing cavities and erosion. Some examples of foods that cause erosion are citrus fruits, energy drinks and soft drinks.
A few small changes in your oral health routine can have a positive impact on your oral health and keep your smile white and bright. Along with these tips, it’s important to have regular dental exams and hygiene cleanings to prevent decay from developing and progressing. Our hygienists and dentists will be able to help eliminate any build up and check your teeth and gums for any potential issues.
Time for a regular dental checkup? Schedule an appointment today.